Whether you’re looking for a builder in Nelson, or in any geographical location, it’s important to find someone who is skilled, trustworthy and reliable.
With so many building companies around, how do you decide which one to work with?
Here are 10 tips to help you choose the right builder:
- Reputation: Look for testimonials, referrals and ask around to gauge the reputation of each builder. Anyone can place an advertisement – but a stellar reputation is a builder’s most valuable asset.
- Examples of their work: Ask to see their portfolio and/or speak with people who have used them to build or renovate.
- Credentials: To find out whether they are qualified and licensed building practitioners, refer to the Register of licensed practitioners. A licensed practitioner has shown they have the skills, knowledge and experience to meet government-backed national standards.
- Price: Question tenders which are too high or low. If a quote is significantly low, they may have priced in cheap materials and it will cost you more to upgrade, they could be relying on expensive variations along the way to make the job pay. Remember, you get what you pay for.
- Membership of trade organisations: find out if they are members of New Zealand Certified Builders Association (CBANZ) or Registered Master Builders Federation (RMBF).
- Guarantees: Find out whether any are offered and what is covered.
- Honesty and integrity: Working with someone who tells the truth and does what they say they will do is paramount.
- Knowledge and experience: A sound knowledge of the building industry and a practical working background is great reassurance.
- Relationship: Building and renovating is a personal process. Being able to work with your builder on a professional (and comfortable) level is really important. Ensure you get along well beforehand.
- Communication: Perhaps the most important asset a builder can possess is the ability to communicate well. At Jason Gardiner Builders we keep our clients in the loop at every step of the way. You will know a good communicator from the outset.